To sum up
Assessing the learning needs of learners is an activity that all teachers carry out on a day-to-day basis, both formally and informally. The skills required to do this effectively are embedded in the core characteristics of highly competent teachers listed below:
- Demonstrates empathy with learners, has the ability to communicate educational goals, a desire to help learners improve self-efficacy and professional competence
- Develops and shows concern for integrity of own judgements
- Uses varied assessment tools to develop different skills in learners
- Understands curriculum, assessment criteria and standards, and has appropriate expectations of learners’ performance based on learning outcomes and experience of achievement
- Can identify learners’ strengths and weaknesses in relation to outcomes and assessment criteria
- Can advise learners on a range of strategies and different ways to achieve goals.
You have now reached the end of the module. Provided you have entered something into your log you can now print your certificate. To generate your certificate please go to ‘my area’ and click on ‘complete’ in the course status column. Please note you will not be able to print your certificate unless you have entered something in your ‘reflections area’.
Please now take a moment to evaluate the course and enter your comments below.