To sum up
e-Learning provides huge opportunities and potential benefits for both learners and teachers, enabling access to vast resources and facilitating communication when face-to-face learning is difficult. However, it is vital to maintain the main focus on improving learning and teaching whilst acknowledging that new technologies can enhance the learner experience.
- e-learning is now part of mainstream education for all health professions
- the primary reasons for introducing e-learning must be concerned with meeting learners’ needs and facilitating the educational process, not simply seizing on technological innovation
- we must not assume that learners are familiar with e-learning tools, but provide support for access and use
- opportunities for enhancing learning through e-learning include access to a wide range of resources and information and facilitating communication
- challenges for teachers include working with new systems and processes as well as finding time for developing and maintaining e-learning resources