To sum up
Workplace-based assessment offers the opportunity to connect teaching, learning and assessment, and can assess the ‘does’ dimension of Miller’s pyramid of competence. It is a useful component of an overall assessment programme.
When designing a programme of workplace-based assessment it is important to address the following issues.
- The utility of the entire assessment programme.
- Clarity on what is being assessed is needed through the identification of holistically described professional competencies.
- Attention should be given to the developmental nature of the assessment and this should be built into progression statements for each competency.
- A variety of assessment tools should be used to gather evidence from multiple clinical contexts using multiple raters.
- All the evidence should be collated, synthesised and judged at regular intervals by an educational supervisor to assess the learner’s progress.
- The consistency and comparability of workplace-based assessments should be maximised through a programme of quality assurance.
You have now reached the end of the module. Provided you have entered something into your log you can now print your certificate. To generate your certificate please go to ‘my area’ and click on ‘complete’ in the course status column. Please note, you will not be able to print your certificate unless you have entered something in your ‘reflections area’.
Please now take a moment to evaluate the course and enter your comments below.